Here is a second update with important information regarding next week's science trips for the 8th grade. I would also encourage you to scroll down to previous posts on the blog for information about the cave and preparing your child for this experience if they so choose to go into the cave(optional for kids and staff!).
Click Here for the Packing List and Trip Itinerary
1. Trash Bags brought to school on Monday September 25th: Prior to homeroom students will go to their science rooms and drop off their trash bags with their change of clothes and cave helmets in them. Please make sure your child's trash bag is clearly labelled with their name on it (duct tape works great). Inside the trash bag will be the following:
- Change of pants
- Changes of socks
- Change of shirt (both short sleeve and long sleeved as we are outside the rest of the day)
- Towel to wipe off any mud and dry up
- Change of shoes
- Cave helmets.
After the cave students will be putting their muddy clothes and shoes into the trash bags along with their cave helmets and putting them back under the bus to be washed when they get home. This is standard caving procedure to prevent the spread of White Nose Syndrome among the bat population in upstate New York. For more information about White Nose Syndrome click here.
2. Drop off is at 5:45 AM at WMS: When you drop off your child in the morning please park in the teacher parking lot. DO NOT drive up the bus driveway. Students will be loading onto the bus and we do not want any traffic coming up the driveway at this time. The science room doors will be open, the main door will be locked.
3. Snacks and Food: Please remember as you are packing your child's food for the day to not pack any foods with peanuts or any kind of nuts as well as any shellfish. We have children on the bus with food allergies and would like to avoid any emergencies due to food allergies. Thank you for your cooperation with this. Please also remember that your child must bring with them their food for breakfast, snacks, and lunch. Students must also bring their own drinks and a water bottle. No Caffeinated beverages allowed. Please make sure all beverages are screw-top bottles. Lunches are stored underneath the bus in a large cooler. Please pack lunches separate from snacks and drinks.
4. Epipens and inhalers: If your child has an epipen and/or inhaler please ensure that this is packed with them in their backpack for the trip. Students are responsible for bringing these with them both on the bus and when we exit the bus at learning sites, lunch, and dinner.
5. Cave clothing requirements for Clarksville Cave: Please remember that if your child is planning on entering the cave they must be wearing long pants, a long sleeve shirt, a warm jacket and sneakers or boots. There are no exceptions to this rule - it is the policy of WMS and the NE Cave Conservancy. Students must also have a helmet with a light source attached to it as well. Students will be coming to school in their "Cave clothes" with gym shorts underneath and change after the cave is done for the rest of the day.
|Sample Cave Helmets|
6. Dinner: Dinner is at the Lee rest area on the Mass. Pike. Students may bring their own dinner or no more than $20.00 for fast food at the rest area. Fast food options include Fresh City, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, and D'Angelos Subs. Students are welcome to bring their own dinner as well, we will keep it in the cooler underneath the bus until we arrive at the rest area.
7. Phone chain: I will activate the phone chain upon leaving dinner at the Lee Rest Area on the Mass Pike- we will be approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes away at this point.
8. Cell Phones and Electronics: Students are allowed to bring their cell phone or personal listening device for music only on this trip. Cell phones and electronics will be left on the bus at learning sites as students will NOT need photos from the trip for the science projects (note: this is a change from the original information on the packing list).
9. Pick up at the end of the trip at WMS: Our expected arrival time is around 8:00PM, however we may come back earlier (closer to 7:00PM) or later (closer to 8:30PM) depending on weather, access to sites, and traffic). When you pick up your child please again park your car in the teacher lot and do not drive up the bus driveway. Same as the morning kids will be going around both sides of the bus when they return.
10. School Issued Clipboards: On the day of your child's trip they will enter the science room to pick up their trash bag and their school issued black plastic school clipboard with field guide to use on the New York Trip. Please have them pack this in their backpack and return to their science teacher the day after their trip.
Thanks for your support from home, trips like this cannot happen without parent support